Sunday, March 15, 2015

Review : Champion by Marie Lu

Sunday, March 15, 2015
Title : Champion
Author : Marie Lu
Genre : YA dystopia
Release Date : November 5th, 2013
Publisher : Speak

GOODREADS

He is a Legend.

She is a Prodigy.

Who will be Champion?


June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps-Elect, while Day has been assigned a high-level military position.

But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them: just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything.

With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu’s bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion.


It's official. The Legend trilogy is the first dystopia genre book that I absolutely love from book one until book three. Usually, my favorite book in a series would be the first book--because if it's not, I wouldn't be continuing it. But in this series, my favorite book is the last book. It's really fast-paced and well-written. If you love Rick Riordan's writing style (meaning : end each chapter with cliffhanger), then I bet you'll love this series too.

Like I said, my favorite thing from this book is Marie Lu's writing style. She end each chapter with cliffhanger that makes me hard to stop reading. I would be devour this book in one sitting if I can. Also, it's fast-paced, and the contents--the action, romance, twist--are just in a right amount.

Although it's not very clear, there are some characters development. Like Day, for example, is more sarcastic and more easy to get angry. As for June, she became more mature now, and even though she's no longer a soldier (at least in 3/4 of the book), we still could see her awesome ability in calculating. We also get to know about Eden--Day's brother--whom we know a little in Legend and Prodigy. He's very funny and optimistic, innocent yet mature, and immediately became my favorite when
June laughs. "I have to say, you look better than most people I see. I've heard a lot about you." 
"I hear about you a lot too," Eden replies in a rush, "Mostly from Daniel. He thinks you're really hot."
That's really make me laugh.

Another thing that I want to write is the romance. Again, I don't think it's the main focus in this book, but generally, I love it. Even though it's a bit sad--having a relationship with your mother's 'killer' isn't easy--it's still beautiful. They manage to love each other so deeply despite everything.

And then there's the part that I love/hate the most, THE EPILOGUE. Let me warn you, it will make you sad and even cry or sob, but you couldn't ask for a better ending. For some reason, I'm glad it end that way. I try to picture a different epilogue--a happier epilogue, but it feels wrong. The epilogue is actually unexpected, but I think Marie Lu has been indicate it all along the book,

Overall, I love this book. Then why I give this 4.5 stars instead of 5? Call me silly, but it's because the final battle is not like I had imagined. I think it's too focused on saving Day and his brother, and then suddenly--when they both saved--it just end. Also, the book begin 8 months after the end of Prodigy, and I think it's too long. But beside my silly concern, the book is still wonderful and highly recommended!


4 comments:

  1. Book #3 was my favorite until the very end. I was VERY mad at that epilogue. I thought what had originally happened was so sad and tragic but showed the legend and prodigy paying the ultimate price, sacrificing it all for their country. And then Lu just recanted it all. Ahh. I'm glad you loved the whole series though, I'm quite fond of it myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was kinda mad when I read the epilogue--I mean HOW COULD MARIE LU END IT LIKE THAT?! That's as cruel as killing them. Nevertheless, I still love it, and glad that you like it too :)

      Delete
  2. I love this trilogy, too! One of my top faves! Reading your review makes me want to read the books all over again!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at first I thought I'm not going to like it since dystopia genre book tend to disappoint me, but turns out it became one of my fav!

      Delete

The Bookish Thought © 2014