Sunday, March 29, 2015

Review : Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

Sunday, March 29, 2015
Title : Second Chance Summer
Author : Morgan Matson
Genre : YA contemporary
Release date : May 8th, 2012
Publisher : Simon & Schuster

GOODREADS

Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains.

Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven’t actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend…and he’s much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve.

As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they’re more aware than ever that they’re battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance—with family, with friends, and with love.


*Highlight to see spoiler

I'm going to be honest here. If it is not about family, I would give this book below 2 stars. Second Chance Summer is all about second chance--second chance in family, in love, in friendship, even second chance birthday. This book is actually well-written, but it has more narrative and less conversation (what do you say about a book that has a little conversation?). It makes me kinda bored, and that's why it takes me some time to finish this one.

The MC--Taylor Edwards--is the usual 17-years-old that you'd find in some contemporary books. Sometimes smart, sometimes stupid, no hobby, came from a not-so-close family (at least until they know about their dad's condition), just like most teenager. She's actually a likeable character, but sometimes she do something stupid that makes me want to strangle her just to tell her how stupid it was. These 'stupid things' she does usually would involved Henry Crosby--her boyfriend back when they were 12. Henry Crosby is probably the kindest teenager guy I've ever read. He's so kind and sweet I almost think whether he's really that kind or he's dumb.[spoiler] Taylor kinda dump him when they were 12, and then they got back again when they were 17, but Taylor dump him again for not so clear reason but eventually they got back again. My point is, he still want to be with her after she dump him twice, so I'm not sure whether he's so kind and so in love with her or he's dumb[spoiler] It's kinda hard to explain if you didn't read the book or the spoiler above, but if you do, you'd understand.

Like I said, the reasons why I gave this book 4 stars instead of 2 is the family aspect. It's not often I read a contemporary books that makes me cry, but this book manage to make me. Everytime there's a family bonding time, I always want to cry. It got worse when it near the end--when Taylor's dad condition is getting worse. It was really sad yet beautiful. Matson really did a great job in describing it.

Another reason why I didn't like this book is the romance. It's an insta-love-but-not-an-insta-love. Technically, Taylor and Henry already know each other since they were 10, but the romance between them--after 5 years never meet each other--are happening way too fast. It's too perfect, no relationship would be like that. Not to mention that Henry's too kind and Taylor has a problem, I just couldn't help but think that Taylor used him to makes her feel better (It's not, of course). Overall, the romance is disappointing, and perhaps, this book would be better if there isn't any.

It's not often that I learn something from a book, but this book give me a lesson, to cherish the time that I have with my family. I also found myself thinking and remembering my family--the thing that we does together, that usually just slipped out of my mind. My point is, when you finished reading this one, it will make you think more about your family.

"But I picked up my dad's hand where it was hanging over the wheel and took it in mine. It was too bony, but it was still huge, engulfing my own. The hand that had taught me to tie my shoes and hold a pencil correctly and had held mine carefully when we were crossing the street, making sure to keep me safe"

4 comments:

  1. I have been dying to read this. I love morgan

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have if you like family books! It's really touching.

      Delete
  2. Aww, I think I'm going to cry when I read this!! Awesome review! (:

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people do cry when they read this, including me!
      Thanks! :)

      Delete

The Bookish Thought © 2014