Friday, March 13, 2015

Review : The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

Friday, March 13, 2015
Title : The Distance Between Us
Author : Kasie West
Genre : YA Contemporary
Release Date : July 2nd, 2013
Publisher : Harper Teen

GOODREADS | PURCHASE

Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.


Actually, this is the second time I read this book. And for the second time, this book still manages to make me swoon. I've only read two of Kasie West's books, and both books are very great.

Most people would find this book boring, but for me, it's not. The narrator, Caymen Meyers, is a 17 year old girl who lives with her mom above their doll store. She planned to take a break before college to help her mom with their doll store, even though she didn't enjoy it. At the same time, Xander Spence's father expect him to continue their family business, but he didn't enjoy it too. That's why they decide to make a 'career day' to see what their passion is.

The main character, Caymen Meyers, has a sense of dry humor, but that's what make her funny. Throughout the book, I found myself grinning because of her dry humor. Beside that, she's also selfless. Like I said, she planned to take one year break before college just to help her mother running their store. On the other hand, Xander Spence is probably the sweetest rich boy I've ever read! I fell in love with him the moment we were introduced to him. Most of the rich characters I've read are either arrogant, a player, or even mysterious. But not with Xander, he's actually nice and sweet (he went to Caymen's store everyday and bring her a chocolate--that's what makes me ship them immediately).

The romance is my favorite part in this book. It's not an insta-love, nor there's any love triangle. It's not a slow burn romance too, where the characters have many sexual tension. It's more like a sweet romance that will make you swoon. I ship Caymen and Xander almost immediately. I can't exactly explain why I ship them, it just happened (if you read the book you'll most likely understand it)

Overall, This book is definitely one of my favorite contemporary now. I strongly recommend it if you love cute and adorable romance!


4 comments:

  1. I read this book a couple months ago and I remember really liking it at the time, but I also dont really remember any of it... Not sure why. Maybe that means I should reread it? Great review! <3 Bee @ Bee Reads Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that problem too. I read this book around a week ago, but I didn't remember much from the book! It's pretty hard for me to review when I didn't remember it. That's why I review it while reread it a little. Maybe you should too! :)

      Delete
  2. This book is so adorable and fun! I loved the romance and the banter/dialogue. It was great. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more with you! This is definitely one of my fav contemporary books.

      Delete

The Bookish Thought © 2014