Saturday, February 6, 2016

Review : The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

Saturday, February 6, 2016
Title : The Sword of Summer
Author : Rick Riordan
Genre : YA fantasy
Series : Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #1
Release Date : October 8th, 2015
Publisher : Disney Hyperion

GOODREADS | PURCHASE

Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother’s mysterious death, he’s lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.

One day, he’s tracked down by a man he’s never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. The man tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god.

The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years.

When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision.

Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . .



Before starting my review, can I just say that I love this book? I even mentioned in 6 freakin times in my 2015 end of year survey! My only problem with this book is, well it's a little too long for a book with one quest. But since it's fast-paced and full of actions, it didn't really bothered me.

Let's talk about the characters first, Magnus. In some ways (especially the sass and humor), Magnus is pretty similar with Percy. The only difference between them is probably their physical appearance and the fact that blue is not Magnus' favorite color (yes, I remembered Percy's favorite color). But, if I have to choose between Percy and Magnus, I'm going to choose Percy. There's something off with Magnus that didn't make me swoon all over him like I did with Percy. It's still the first book, though, so maybe my opinion will change.

Other than Magnus, there's also his sidekicks--Sam, Blitzen, and Hearthstone. Sam is a valkyrie, and basically the Annabeth in this book. But, I'm pleased to say that there's no romance between Sam and Magnus, and I don't think there will be any. Blitzen is a dwarf who's interested with fashion rather than tinkery. He's a little grumpy, a little sassy, but a lot of kind. Hearthstone, on the other hand, is a deaf elf who wants to learn the runes. Out of these 3, I must say that Hearthstone's life is the tragic one. I even teared up a bit when I read it.

Like I said, the plot is fast-paced and full of actions. If it were not for finals, I think I won't stop reading it. I admit that I'm a little confused at the beginning, seeing that I don't know a thing about Norse myth other than Thor, Loki, Odin, Heimdall, and Frigg--thanks to Thor movie--but the glossary at the back of the book really help me.

So, what are you waiting for? If you love myth, I'm highly suggesting you to read this book ASAP.


7 comments:

  1. I'm rather excited to get to this one! I have it sitting on my shelf waiting for me, but sadly won't be able to pick it up for another month or two. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least you will read it :) Hope you enjoy it, and thanks!

      Delete
  2. I've never read a Rick Riordan book but I've read good things about his books. I'm just plainly scared to try them out since I don't do well on middle grade books. Glad to know you enjoy this though. Great review! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have to read this one! The fact that it is fast paced and the main character is like Percy, I am already hooked! Now to find a space for it in the old TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't gotten around to reading this book yet, but I've been reading a lot of reviews and all of them are positive, so I'm really exited! All of them also mention how Magnus doesn't compate to Percy, but I think that's something that had to be expected. I mean, we have 10 books and a couple novellas about him. We had ten years to get to know him and now, we only just met Magnus!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this book looks so good! i bought it back when it came out but i still havent read it yet. im really hoping theres lots of scandinavian folklore because i love it so much, it's one of my favourites and i'm glad rick's writing about them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found your post interesting to read. I cant wait to see your post soon. Good Luck for the upcoming update.This article is really very interesting and effective.
    Fortnite gift card code generator

    ReplyDelete

The Bookish Thought © 2014